Thursday, November 28, 2013

Eat Like an Author: Matt Salesses

When most people get bored, they eat. When I get bored, I brainstorm new series and features for the blog, and THEN eat. And not too long ago, as I was brainstorming and contemplating what I wanted to eat, I thought how cool it would be to have a mini-foodie series where authors share the things they like to eat. Photos and recipes and all. And so I asked them, and amazingly they responded, and I dubbed it EAT LIKE AN AUTHOR. 


Last week, Courtney Elizabeth Mauk shared her secret ingredient vegan cookie recipe. 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This week, Matt Salesses shares how he eats abroad:



Eating abroad: 2 stories


1. I spent an entire year in Prague basically eating pasta, soup with pasta, fish sticks, bread and cheese, and peanut butter and jelly. When I wrote a novel set in Prague for my MFA thesis, I put the contents of my fridge into the book, and my adviser said at one point that it was one of the only times she remembered how young the protagonist was supposed to be. 

2. I spent my first two weeks in Korea living in a love motel and eating frosted flakes from the box and washing them down with milk from the bottle. I'd been scared by a lonely planet guidebook that mentioned something, euphemistically, about diarrhea. I lost 20 pounds. I was rescued from myself by my future wife.


Other Things Eaten Abroad





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





Matthew Salesses is the author of I'm Not Saying, I'm Just Saying and The Last Repatriate. He has written for The Good Men Project, The New York Times Motherlode blog, NPR Code Switch, Glimmer Train, The Rumpus, Hyphen, and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment